Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Three variations, and moving on

Variations of the Headlands image.
Two top are brushed on ink, the third is rolled on ink.

I'm done with it and am writing it off as experiments with inks and layers. Playing with brushing on Akua Kolor verses rolling on Graphic Chemical inks to see the outcomes. When I cut the blocks I knew less than I do now. I usually do reduction prints so am used to lots of layers with water based inks. Graphic Chemical inks don't work well for it. They're gooey and saturated. The consistency of honey. I'm rubbing by hand, so a light application of ink is much harder to get down. Now I'm adjusting my process by using less overlapping layers of ink and more blocks, one or two colors per. Oh well. I learned allot. Onward.


Katka said...

I've been tempted by Akua Inks (and wondering how they'd compare to Daniel Smith inks)for months. It's great to see your comparison to GC inks which sound similar to DS.
Thanks for sharing this.

Beautiful image too.

Carole Baker said...

I love this print!

Kris Wiltse said...

Thank you Carole! The print is still not completed. I don't know if they ever really are considering the number of variations one can create. I noticed you had several too.

Katka... Akua are wonderful. Different. Very very thin. I have not tried Dan Smith. I usually work with Graphic Chem WB inks or Speedball. I want to try Moku Hanga and mix my own dry pigments.

CATI said...

they are soo beautiful!

Kris Wiltse said...

Thank you CATI. I visited your blog and your work is beautiful. Thanks for the Follow!


Related Posts with Thumbnails